As well as our practice, there are many other local NHS services you can contact for health advice. Before you do, remember that you can treat many minor ailments such as coughs, colds and indigestion by keeping a well stocked medicine cabinet at home.
We suggest you stock the following:
- Paracetamol and aspirin ( children under 16 and those with asthma should not take aspirin)
- Mild Laxatives
- Rehydration mixture
- Indigestion remedy ( e.g. antacids)
- Travel sickness tablets.
- Sunscreen – SPF 15 or higher
- Sunburn treatment
- Tweezers and sharp scissors
- A thermometer
- A selection of plasters, non-absorbent cotton, bandages and dressings.
- Keep your medicine in a secure locked place out of the reach of children.
- Always read the instructions and take the correct dose.
- Watch expiry dates – don't keep or use medicines past their sell by date.
- Take all unwanted and out of date medicines to a pharmacy.
Your local pharmacist
Your local pharmacist will be able to give you free health advice at any time – you don’t need an appointment. Many pharmacies operate extended hours on a rota basis. Call NHS direct for details.